Sunday, November 12, 2006

Worth a thousand words

Photography is one of my passions and very much a part of my life. Each photo captures precious moments, giving golden sunsets, or fragile pink blooms, or the hustle and bustle of a megapolis, or the cheerful bubbling grin on a baby's face a kind of timeless immortality. Each shot tells its own story, carrying with it unbelieveable emotion and memories of times long past. And it is also very much a refined and yet democratised form of art, with realism impossible to create by any other means.

My journey as a photographer

My first camera was a cheap kodak film cam, which i got as a present in P2. That was really the start of my journey in photography. I still remember walking on the beach in bintan snapping away with that cam... Then in P5, my parents got me a sony P-72 (still working today). Being digital, that provided instant gratification and allowed me to go trigger-happy without giving a fart about film cost and the quantity i have on hand.

Later i joined RI photo club; that has given me the opportunity and exposure to greatly improve my photography skills, and go beyond "point and shoot" equipment, techniques, and pictures. It has opened up whole new realms of photography like photojournalism / event-coverage in which you just can't miss or screw up any shot, and aesthetic photography like the pros.


My kit now

At the moment I'm using a Nikon D70s + 18-70 kit lens + tokina circular polarizing filter + manfrotto ballhead tripod and of course all the accessories like a bag, dry box, batts etc. Next on the to-buy list is a SB-600 flashgun and a 70-300 lens. Haha... as for the usual big debate when it comes to DSLRs (canon vs nikon, in which canon and nikon are the only contenders), i think nikon better lah. To be fair, for dSLRS both are very good, but nikon better. Canon is comparatively cheaper and autofocus is damn fast but it's bit plastic. Having tried both, i more happy with nikon image quality (no we're not talking about the canon top range chao expensive lenses), battery life, durability, handling etc.

Haha... but to each his own, to all the canon users out there: your preference, your choice, your money. I think nikon better, that's just my opinion. The important thing is that we are all united in appreciation and pursuit of photography and its artistic value and the priceless memories it captures. A picture is worth a thousand words.